The Vail Alliance for Purposeful Living inspires purposeful living and helps people manage life’s transitions. This includes the inner work of developing more clarity and self-awareness and the outer work of contributing to communities and the world.
Through one’s own sense of it, purposeful living is sharing, giving back, mentoring, and serving others and the community.
Our purpose is to inspire purposeful living.
Alliance programs, both online and in-person, support individuals as they navigate life and work transitions and their self-renewal.
A committed working group is driving the launch of the Alliance:
- Art Currier, a former business executive and sustainability champion
- Buck Elliott, a local business owner and entrepreneur
- John Horan-Kates, an author, executive, and founder of the Vail Valley Foundation
- Richard Leider, a best-selling author and speaker and our Purpose Ambassador
- Terry Minger, a former Vail Town Manager and foundation executive
- Sarah Smith Orr, a Ph.D., life coach, consultant, and professor
- Gregg Vanourek, an award-winning author and executive training, teaching, and speaking in the U.S. and Europe
Most of the Alliance founders either live in Vail or have extensive experience running organizations in the Vail Valley.
Each of the founders has considerable experience in personal development: Most are experienced retreat facilitators and coaches, many with over forty years of experience.
We use the Inside First™ framework in our programs, a framework developed and refined over several decades by top practitioners in this field and used with great effect with many individuals and groups.
We’ve found that most such programs begin on the outside with skill-building and similar elements. While these are important, we think it works best when we begin with the “inside first” work of clarifying one’s values and purpose, then move to the “outside next” work of expressing one’s purpose, applying it in the larger world, while also addressing the “in between” work of removing barriers and identifying onramps to connect people with opportunities. Together, they offer a picture of how to move from internal exploration to external application.
Benefits of the Inside First™ Model:
- Developing a clearer sense of your purpose energizes your work.
- Gaining increased insight into your values and beliefs improves ethical decision-making.
- Creating a sharp vision of your future provides a powerful roadmap to significance.
- Being clear about what’s important to you allows you to focus your creative energy for extraordinary results.
- Developing listening skills makes you a better communicator.
- Building relationships of trust helps you see that making progress through others is the essence of life and leadership.
- Honoring a commitment to lifelong learning keeps you growing.
- Gaining awareness of your strengths and potential allows you to maximize your influence and make greater contributions.
- Drawing upon your spiritual perspective helps you maintain a healthy ego.
- Developing an appreciation for nature allows you to reflect on the lessons of life.
About Our Logo:
Why did we choose an image of a waterdrop to represent our organization?
A single drop of water causes many ripples, expanding outward in concentric circles. Like a water drop, purposeful living starts from the inside, from the heart, with a clear sense of purpose and values. It then moves outward to connect and serve people, communities, allies, and partners. Our InsideFirst™ approach facilitates this movement through inspired self-discovery and group dialogue.
“Purpose is that deepest dimension within us—our central core. It is the quality we choose to shape our lives around. Purpose is already within us waiting to be discovered.” –Richard Leider